Whole food is the name of the game. Striving to be concious of what we eat and to eat less processed food and more whole food is the way to go. Another way of putting it is when you go to the grocery store, don't buy anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. My holistic nurse friend says just make sure your plate looks like a rainbow....that it is full of colorful food. Just think of the benefits of eating broccoli (bright green), blueberries (deep blue), strawberries (red), squash (yellow), green beans and so on.
Another spiritual friend says, "Spirit (God) made it real simple for us. Just drink pure water, eat things that come from the land, and fish from the seas. We are the ones who make it complicated."
Michael Pollan, who wrote In Defense of Food: A Dieter's Manifesto, was also on Oprah today. He summed it up by saying the following:
Not too much.
I think we all know this already. Just hard to do. I've heard the 80-20 rule is good enough. I don't know though. Eat right 80% of the time and don't worry about the other 20%. At least it's a start.