Wednesday, January 27, 2010

FOOD Inc.

My son told me about this movie, Food Inc., and Oprah is talking about it today.  It had quite an effect on him, and, I think it will on all of us.  I hope to see it soon. The movie is very educational about our food today, where it comes from, how it is produced, and how we can make better food choices.  It seems that in the past, as a society, we spent a much higher percentage of our incomes on food than healthcare.  Nowadays our nation is spending a higher percentage on health care than we are on food. 

Whole food is the name of the game.  Striving to be concious of what we eat and to eat less processed food and more whole food is the way to go.  Another way of putting  it is when you go to the grocery store, don't buy anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.  My holistic nurse friend says just make sure your plate looks like a rainbow....that it is full of colorful food.  Just think of the benefits of eating broccoli (bright green), blueberries (deep blue), strawberries (red), squash (yellow), green beans and so on.

Another spiritual friend says, "Spirit (God) made it real simple for us.  Just drink pure water, eat things that come from the land, and fish from the seas.  We are the ones who make it complicated." 

Michael Pollan, who wrote In Defense of Food:  A Dieter's Manifesto, was also on Oprah today.  He summed it up by saying the following:

Eat food,
Mostly plants,
Not too much.

I think we all know this already.  Just hard to do.  I've heard the 80-20 rule is good enough.  I don't know though.  Eat right 80% of the time and don't worry about the other 20%.  At least it's a start.

11 comments:

  1. Good post, Sandra. I believe it and try to live it ... most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sandra !

    First of all, thanks for your link :
    http://reallifeinaminute.blogspot.com/2009/10/just-playin-is-just-playin-today.html

    I enjoyed it a lot :)


    So, a few minutes ago, before stopping by your blog, I was visiting Joy's blog and she wrote a great post about food. If you get a free time, take a look at it ;) It's really worth !

    Here is her link :

    http://background-joy.blogspot.com/2010/01/vagetarian-food-at-yamdaisy-cafe.html


    Have a beautiful day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing about that movie and I would like to see it. If you stick to the perimeter of the store that's where most of those whole foods can be found the middle aisles tend to be the highly processed stuff. I also have that book on my library download wishlist. I should download it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good advise. Thank you

    I tagged you, hope you will pass it on.

    BM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I TRY to eat haelthy food.But sometimes i 'd kill for a slice of cheesy pitza.yum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed that episode. I like the idea of eating healthy much more than the reality of it. If spinach tasted like chocolate....,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree but it's so hard to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WEB SHERIFF
    Who You Gonna Call
    Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
    Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
    websheriff@websheriff.com
    www.websheriff.com

    Hi 'Just Playin' (and everyone),

    On behalf of Magnolia Pictures and the movie’s producers, many thanks for plugging "Food Inc" ... .. thanks also, on behalf of the distributors and producers, for not posting any pirate copies or non-trailer clips of “Food Inc” and if you / your readers want good quality, non-pirated, previews, then the official trailer for “Food Inc” is available for fans and bloggers to post / host / share etc at www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/foodinc/ and the official site at www.foodincmovie.com ... .. for further details of on-line promotions for this movie and Magnolia releases generally, check-out www.magpictures.com and their official YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/MagnoliaPictures .

    Thanks again for your plug.

    Regards,

    WEB SHERIFF

    ReplyDelete
  9. i saw this show and it made me want to buy all of my food at the mustard seed and or whole foods

    if you can afford to do it, you should

    we are what we eat

    and i want my kids to eat right thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Everyone...you inspire me! Now they say not to eat bagged salad without washing it first. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Web Sheriff! Thanks for dropping by! I'm flattered ya found me. You are really doing your job! Come any time.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts! What do you think?